I went plein airing on the Pratt campus today for the first tine ever (after graduating).
It's so stupid that it took me so long, but to be fair I was scared.
Not because of other artists, but because of the architecture. This is a difficult plein air painting.
I just wasn't confident enough in my plein air skillz to do it until this year.
Architecture is a whole different thing than landscape; it really has to be right.
My painting is mostly right and I'm happy with it for what it is, especially since I really pushed myself and did something new. Everyone was very friendly and a lot of people stopped by. I had people yelling Loud-Brooklyn-style from the street IT'S GORGEOUS! Someone walked by and said to his friend, "That's crazy. It is very complex." Which it is for a plein air. Another artist would see that. These are nice things to hear when I'm FROZEN, my paint is trying to be frozen, I feel like the whole thing is overworked and I wonder why the hell do I do this. Cheering squads really, really help.
Pratt Libraries on Instagram likes it and asked permission to repost it, which they will do in about a week and a half.
11x14 oil, 3 1/2 hours, 36 degrees.
It's so stupid that it took me so long, but to be fair I was scared.
Not because of other artists, but because of the architecture. This is a difficult plein air painting.
I just wasn't confident enough in my plein air skillz to do it until this year.
Architecture is a whole different thing than landscape; it really has to be right.
My painting is mostly right and I'm happy with it for what it is, especially since I really pushed myself and did something new. Everyone was very friendly and a lot of people stopped by. I had people yelling Loud-Brooklyn-style from the street IT'S GORGEOUS! Someone walked by and said to his friend, "That's crazy. It is very complex." Which it is for a plein air. Another artist would see that. These are nice things to hear when I'm FROZEN, my paint is trying to be frozen, I feel like the whole thing is overworked and I wonder why the hell do I do this. Cheering squads really, really help.
Pratt Libraries on Instagram likes it and asked permission to repost it, which they will do in about a week and a half.
11x14 oil, 3 1/2 hours, 36 degrees.
I can see why your cheerleading squad was in an uproar. Well done.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have thawed out by now and can have an enjoyable weekend.