topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Twilight (after Bouguereau)- Finally Finished!

After seven months this painting is finally done!
I started in March and finished the underpainting in July.
It needs to be scanned instead of photographed but it is too wet right now.

I am not doing anymore grisaille/glazing for the foreseeable future; this is not how i enjoy working.

View progress shots here.

10x20 oil on canvas


Another photo with different light:

 

************
I bought the cutest little gourds at the store the other day so I could paint them. For the past few days I have been wanting to paint a gourd with my Maimeri Italian Earth paints... so as a reward to myself for finally finishing Twilight, and also for the Feat of Extreme Discipline for not starting another painting until Twilight was finished, I painted a little gourd.

The Italian Earth paints are fascinating... they are actual earth pigments from different regions in Italy. They are low chroma and transparent, and although I find I can't push them the way I can with other pigments, I still love them. especially the greens.

I do think I'll do better with them when they aren't the only colors in the palette, but as accents to a more well-rounded selection. I like the earthiness and somewhat grittiness of them, and also like thinking of what the old masters did with such limited materials.

8x10 oil on canvas panel, an hour and a half.



4 comments:

  1. Way to go Oily Girl you did a splended job on her, proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ha ha...I thought you meant you were going to paint ON THE gourd!!! I suppose I thought it would be something like decorative painting on the gourd! I am of such an arts and crafts mind...not expecting to see an actual painting of the gourd! It turned out real well, and the paints are really awesome sounding! Congrats on finishing Twilight! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, Congratulations on completing Twilight!!! She looks so delicate!

    And, I do love that gourd, you captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! She's gorgeous! I too misinterpreted and thought you were planning some decorative painting on the gourds...lol Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3