topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, January 09, 2009

Heart

Today I should be blogging about the first chapter of 12 Secrets to Highly Creative Women...which is about acknowledging your creative self. But there is something else on my mind.

If you read my blog, you know I don't write about stuff that's going on in the news. But. Have you beeen following the Casey Anthony story? It's been going on for a while. A woman is accused of killing her 2 year old daughter. Super sad stuff. If you are a parent, which many of you are, then it takes on a whole new set of feelings and perspective.

The media is having a field day with Casey Anthony...so much venom and condemnation. If she did in fact kill her child, yes it's horrible of course- but I just feel such sadness and compassion for this woman. She's 22 years old right now- just a child herself. We can't ever know the whole story of what was going on with this woman. She must have felt so desperate, so trapped, so deeply unhappy to have done what she is accused of doing. Even if she didn't- no one waits a month to report their missing child- so that says a lot.

I ask myself- if this was an unwanted pregnancy, why didn't she abort or put the child up for adoption? Her baby would have been adopted in 15 seconds flat. Perhaps she felt she couldn't do that due to pressures and expectations- and judgements- from her family and people and society around her. What did she have to give up by having a child at such a young age? Was it something she really wanted or needed? Did she see such a bleak outcome of her future because of the child? Forced into a life she didn't want? Doors closing, opportunities missed? What other factors were in play? We'll never know.

In any case, I don't think hating this woman or condemming her is the right course of action. She is dealing with so much- the stress of the situation, facing a possible sentence of life in jail- and she's 22!, and the death of her daughter which I know she carries heavy in her heart. Is she patterning what may, in another life, be severe past life issues?

Of course we feel for the child- that goes without saying. But I'd just like to ask anyone who happens to read this- to suspend your judgement and horror- even if just for 2 seconds- and remind yourself that we don't know the whole story. And if you can, try and find in yourself a place of sending love and compassion for this girl Casey Anthony, because she, too, is part of the divine glory of the godforce. She is part of you and part of me. And if you can embrace her, you can embrace those dark parts of yourself.

4 comments:

  1. This case is disturbing. I always think that in this day and age people wouldn't have children unless they really want them but that isn't the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we haven't heard of this one over here, but i agree...'never judge an indian till you have walked a mile in his moccassins'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your views here, Jessica. I hadn't heard of this case here but then, I banned myself from watching the news when I did the Soul Coaching course in an attempt to create a positive and happy atmosphere and mindset. I think that the media are experts at manipulating fear and hatred among people which can be downright depressing.

    I read the first chapter of 12 Secrets yesterday and plan to post about it soon too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica...I knew I loved you for more than just your love of succulents and your wonderful art. You made me cry reading this. We really should leave the judging up to God. You are so right that she is, afterall, just human, and for some reason, what she did was the best she could do for whatever the reasons.

    God bless you for your compassionate soul!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3