topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Tourist Crime Magnets

Yesterday I got on the train after work to go home.
At Times Sq, three 20-something tourists got on- one guy and two girls.

They sat on the bench next to me.
Perhaps they were all excited about being in NYC on Spring Break (which is right now)- they were very hyper and a bit obnoxious, which is ok.
The guy stood up, left the bench, and walked over to the pole near the end of the car.  One of the girls joined him- the one who was sitting farthest away and next to me.

She wanted to swing on the pole and dance and sing with the guy.
She did not want to hold her purse while she did this.
Did she give it to her friend who remained sitting? Nope.
She left it on the bench right next to me, walked away, and proceeded to think she was entertaining the whole train.

!!!!!!!!

She did not notice at all when I picked up her bag.
If it was someone else, they would have been off the train in 2 seconds flat at 49th street.

I held her bag for a minute and stared at her.
Then I stood up and walked over to her, interrupted her dancing, handed her bag and told her "Do not leave your bag!"

Her response? "I was watching it."

Freaking tourist crime magnet.
She is very obviously a tourist = target = not paying attention = target and leaving her stuff lying around = PLEASE STEAL MY PURSE.

My warning had absolutely no effect on her.

Rob said he recently saw the same thing in Starbucks...some girl from Texas left her purse, laptop, and phone on the table while she went to the restroom. He said something to her and she had the same reaction Subway Tourist had.

WTF. Isn't this the most basic of basic safety???

Thank goodness Daya knows better.

3 comments:

  1. Yup. I've seen stupidity like that too. I'm glad Daya knows better (of course she does!) and I would think anyone from NYC--or any city--would know better too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe they're so naive!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3