topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, April 06, 2017

FLIP: Wasabi

Wasabi is cool.
I like to put a huge glob of it on, say, a tuna roll and die a little bit.
It clears your sinuses and makes you cry.
If it is fresh.

Most of us have never actually had true wasabi.
True wasabi is wasabia japonica.  It is very uncommon even in Japan.
It must be freshly grated and the potency only lasts for about 15 minutes.
It is small and finicky about where it grows.

Cousin Horseradish on the other hand, is larger and grows more quickly and that's what we are actually having with our sushi.

Wasabia japonica is a seriously funky and cool looking root.
And it is a wonderful weird shade of green, which makes it even better.

Here is as little painting of the root.

9x12 pastel on Colourfix

2 comments:

  1. I have had a taste of wasabi. Too hot for me. I didn't know it was a root. Nice sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool painting - I just love your unexpected subjects and compositions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3