topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, January 13, 2017

Budget Cuts

I am freaking out about money.
Rent went up $80 and dance tuition went up $50.
A month.  I am feeling it.
Braces.
Dance.
Everything.

Basic life expenses outpace salary increases, and I really desperately am hoping to stay employed in my current situation.

So, budget cuts.
No one is immune.

Me:
*Art supplies- OUT OF BUDGET not unless I run out of something vital, like white oil paint.
It is a good thing I am ridiculously stocked in everything.

*Sephora- OUT OF BUDGET-  A while ago I already limited myself to only Urban Decay unless it was seriously- very seriously- WOW. And I have been very good about sticking to it. I have passed on many items due to this rule.  It is a good thing I'm not interested in anything new from Urban Decay, including their two recent palette releases.  I will replace things I run out of, that I always use, but I am also well-stocked in this area.  I admit I did get the new Kat von D Alchemist palette, which I love tremendously and I'm glad I got it.

Duane Reade- MOSTLY OUT OF BUDGET- I love Duane Reade (Walgreens).  They are my go-to place for anything non-Sephora and I can also spend too much there.  Essentials only!!!!!!!! And if I can get it cheaper elsewhere, I will!

Rats:
Munchie and Q-Tip really don't cost much at all so they won't notice anything.
They are both old and I'm not getting more when they pass.

Cats:
The cats are used to getting 2 cans of wet food split three ways every morning. Effective immediately, they will get 1 can split three ways each morning. Their dry food  (Blue Buffalo, it is good stuff) will remain unchanged. my cats are grain-free and will continue to be.

Daya:
We won't be going out to eat nearly as much as we used to. She'll have to deal with less sushi, or better yet I'll teach her how to make it herself.  I have the tools and it is easy.
I'm going to say no to a lot of little stuff.  She gets an allowance so she's used to me saying "Buy it yourself," 
Mostly Daya will notice we don't go out as much.
She already knows resources are limited and her budget goes to dance.
She may complain if I say no to something but it's minor.  She already understands.

****
I don't know if it is all my own economic anxiety, or if I am also picking up on the extreme angst and anxiety surrounding the inauguration, but I'm feeling pretty intense anxiety.. It is maintaining in the long-term that has got me stressed.  Things are getting harder and harder every year- and the things that used to be pathways to security just aren't anymore.  Society is changing, and not for the better.

This week Rob has been working long hours and I haven't seen him all week.
I'm going over to his place for a little while tonight.
He always makes me feel better.
In so many ways, he is a very healthy presence and I am very thankful we met.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Hopefully all will get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-( Sorry to hear about the money woes, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anxiety seems very prevalent these days. Good luck. I am also so very glad you met Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you have Rob Jessica... I feel your pain financially, I am NOT looking forward to seeing what the landlord will be raising my rent this year and I have that dentist appoint for Valentina in the first of March. I have had to resort to a strict budget and it is so fun. Unfortunately not feeling safe with your job is so much more difficult... I hope it all turns out xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on this. My finances have taken a big drop since Aaron turned 18 in December so I am penny-pinching like never before. I am also dreading a raise in rent when a lease renewal is due around May. I have said many times that, each year has gotten harder and harder to get by financially. Inflation and cost of living does not match lower income households or the minimal Carer's payment I get. Life is a struggle so you have my empathy, Jessica. Praying for better times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3