topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Micro-Mini

I somehow acquired this teeny box of Rembrandt 30 half sticks.
It is adorable, has a great color range, and it goes PERFECTLY with The Box that  Sid Made.

For oils, I added a mini razor scraper to clean the glass palette.
And I stuck a kneaded eraser in the box too.

So now, all I have to do is throw a pad of paper, the pastels, and the box in my bag and I'm all set.
It isn't a plein air setup. This is for tabletop sketching.

Here is tonight's sketch.  Pastel on colourfix, 5x7.
It's not a particularly successful painting but that is ok. It had things to teach me.
ALL artists have more crappy paintings than good ones.  That's just how it goes.  Anyone who says differently is lying.

One of the main differences between a beginner and a more advanced artist is the knowledge that 1) all paintings go through an ugly stage, just work through it and 2) not everything has to be good or will be good.

I am still very much finding my way with pastels.  They have a lot to teach me. I am a beginner again.

I have known this for a long time.  Today I told Dru that I have been saying for years that pastels would be my secondary medium if I could just find the time. This year I am making the time.

Pastels have so very much to teach me.
Dru is a fantastic friend because she puts up with all my rambling.

So, micro-mini.
Here is my painting of the evening (Weds evening) as part of my wonderful micro-mini setup.

My box is so special because Sid made it.  It is a great and clever setup, but it was a handmade gift from a friend and I really will treasure it and use it for the rest of my life.








4 comments:

  1. Jessica loves pastels. Yes, I had to say it again. I love your little painting. You are getting very good at capturing those elusive sunrise/sunset skies. I think pastels love Jessica back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so nice that your friend made the box for you... I love cherished items like that ... such nice keepsakes xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3