topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, April 29, 2016

Goodwill or Contempt

"The way to love someone is to lightly run your finger 
over that person’s soul until you find a crack, 
and then gently pour your love into that crack."
                                                                                            - Keith Miller

Goodwill or contempt.
This is something I practice a lot. Very, very consciously.

Mostly with strangers.

I believe that a vital part of spiritual practice is to cultivate peace and goodwill towards others no matter how we may be feeling personally. And it takes constant awareness and practice.
It's not easy at first but it does get easier with practice.

It is done by observing how you react to strangers you encounter in normal ordinary situations.  Your thoughts. How you regard them, especially knowing absolutely nothing about them. If you offer more contempt than goodwill, remind yourself gently to offer goodwill instead.  

It does work, and it does change your approach and attitude towards others.
In turn you will find yourself less stressed or annoyed.

We all know the phrase "peace on earth and goodwill to men."
It is a daily spiritual practice in the small mundane moments.



4 comments:

  1. I am definitely guilty of looking at others with contempt, especially on a bad day... And it doesn't make sense because you get what you give, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea of changing our ideas about people we don't even know... I think we all need to remember not to judge... who knows what is going on in their life... I'll have to think about good will more xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to practice good will especially when behind the wheel, although it is often a challenge. I don't always succeed but I find that when I get angry it seems like such a waste of energy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3