topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, January 02, 2016

True Lights

There is a Terry Ludwig* pastel set I have been lusting after for about a year.

*Terry Ludwig makes absolutely superb handmade pastels!  If you want to look at lots of really pretty colors go to his site.  He's a friendly guy, too.

The set is definitely not a need.  It is a lust. But every few months or so, I would go to the Blick site and look at the pictures. It was (a little bit) on sale...and my aunt sent me $75.....now they are mine. They arrived two days ago.

I have been staring at them a lot.
I will even use them on the portrait I am currently finishing, my portrait swap, which has been staring at me for a month from the easel.

True guilt is when paintings stare at you- and glare at you- from the easel.

Here are the True Lights.
They are all different colors of the same value... value is how dark or light something is.

They are very subtle, but especially in pastel work where colors aren't mixed like oils or acrylic, these are very useful. And they are very soft, perfect for top layers.



3 comments:

  1. I know nothing about pastels but as you often gush about your pastel collection you have made me want to get some to use. What would you suggest as a beginners set? As you might remember I do mostly nature studies. I see on the web site you mention here they can be pricey so I would like a little guidance. I would much appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see how much you love these, I'm happy you were able to acquire them and I'm sure you'll get a lot of use and enjoyment out of them xox ♡

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3