topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Mad ACEO: Black

Nancy called me last night because she said our horoscope was beautiful.

Scorpio, for 21 October
On the cusp of the old you and the new you;  
you are as mysterious as a midnight moon. 
Those who are "awake" enough to admire you 
can't help but wonder about 
the side you don't show the world.


********
I asked Carey if she wanted to do another ACEO, and she said yes. I cut some black Artagain paper* so I could do some work on black. Carey said that was fine with her so that's what we did: ACEOs on a black surface.

Medium is Inktense- both the blocks and the pencils.  I also used the opaque white flakes (acrylic medium).

For the most part, I was really fighting with the Inktense. I thought it would be good on black, but it was a struggle. Perhaps I need a surface with more tooth, like clear gesso or black Colorfix.

That's the great thing about ACEOs- they are quick, and good for experimenting.

Snow Light
Inktense and acrylic flake medium on black Artagain paper
2.5 x 3.5




*****
*It is very unsettling to use an x-acto knife while watching American Horror Story.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo, I like it. Really love those flakes with it.

    Interesting that you had issues with the Inktense...were you using water? Yours seems much brighter than mine, but could partially be photography. (My photos are awful at night.) I think I can tell you used the blocks. :D

    You are right about the experimentation...which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was using water and wet sticks at thick consistency on top.
      the paper is somewhat smooth, probably hot pressed. My sketchbook charts were fine, but those were on black colorfix. I think a toothier surface is better for inktense on black.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I wish I was this artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I don't know a lot about the mediums you use. It is interesting to hear what you have done with them and the results are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was more creative like this... my mother and sisters have this quality... mine was more with writing xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool on the black background!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3