topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Color Shapers

Color Shapers?  Huh? What the heck is that?

Ohhh, let me tell you.  They are WONDERFUL. They come in all shapes and sizes, and two (2) degrees of hardness.  The grey ones are hard and the white ones are soft.  I only have white ones, because they are for pastels and that's what I use them with.

Color Shapers

So what the heck does one do with a...brush-looking-thingy-that-isn't-really-a-brush?

You blend with them. You can cut in color with them. They give more control and flexibility than fingers, though fingers are still very valid. You can do broad and detail work with them. They give a lot of control. They wipe clean very nicely.

And you can use them with oil and acrylic, if you wanted to.

Everything about Color Shapers is good except for one thing: they are expensive.  Though in the grand scheme of things, they cost what brushes tend to cost.

My favorite ones are the flat chisels and the taper points.

Here are some oil pastel topiary cats that live in my sketchbook.

Meow

Carey also loves Color Shapers. 
I hope she shows her favorite worn-down stubby one in her post.

3 comments:

  1. I always learn a lot about art making on your blog. I appreciate all that you write about it. I have never seen shapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, loving the kitty artwork, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun, and I love love love the sketchbook pages!

    Yep...you're going to have to at least try the gray shapers now, lol. But clearly you are more more gentle and loving with yours than I am with mine...the white ones would definitely not hold up well enough to blend in the way that I use them. They wouldn't last, but more than that they would not give me the stiffness I require and that would annoy me. Plus the fact that I do not stick only with Senns...if I did, the white shapers *might* be okay for me (though I doubt it still...I really do scrub verrry thin layers out). I would have shown pictures in progress in my post, but...was too busy with the orange giraffe dress. Will have to follow up on another shaper post.

    Yeah...strange that the ones I got in the local shop back in Georgia were at least a measure cheaper than the ones I see online now. *sigh* I do need more, though...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3