topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Field Trip

Daya has been asking to go to Ellis Island, so yesterday we went.  She is studying Ellis Island immigration in school, so it is very relevant.  I like taking her on supplemental field trips. So, I got Statue of Liberty pedestal reservations.  Reservations are fantastic because you skip the really long lines for the ferry.

I firmly believe in skipping long lines, if possible.

I left all my explosives and firearms at home.

I love boats and I LOVE the water. I could ride that ferry all day.  It just circles around Battery Park, Liberty island, and Ellis Island.


We went to the Statue of Liberty first.  I have been there many times, but I haven't been since before Daya was born.

I have always loved the Statue of Liberty, since I was a kid.


We went up the pedestal.  From there, you can see the statue's armpit.


The old torch from 1912 (? forgot the exact year) is there.  I remember when they did all the renovations back in the 1980s.



 I thought this sign was very ironic, somehow


Before we went to Ellis Island, I asked Daya if she was hungry. She said no. I said are you sure. She said no.

As soon as we got to Ellis Island she was positively starving.

They are doing a lot of construction on the grounds, so the cafe was closed.  We walked around a little, but it just was not worth being there with a zoned out and unpleasant child... so we called it a day and went home.

We'll go back, it is no big deal. Ellis Island is really incredible and wonderful, and it is worth spending a whole day there. Honestly, going around both the statue and Ellis Island is a lot for one day, if you want to look at all the exhibits. I think I'd rather go when Daya is in a place to appreciate it and pay attention.

I will pack food next time and hope it doesn't count as an explosive in security.

Lower Manhattan
from Ellis Island

****
Card today: Compass (upright)


My interpretation: Stopping to find your direction, True North, choosing your direction, getting out of being lost, seeking guidance.

Booklet says:  "As long as you orient your compass to True North- the direction of your Higher Self, you will never be lost." Entering new uncharted territories, positive new experience,keep aligned with Spirit (True north). Spirit is working in your life, even if you feel lost temporarily and everything seems dark.

Actually I do kind of feel like that right now, a bit lost. Floating around through life. So it is good to have a compass.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun day. I would love to be able to tour the Statue and Ellis. It is so nice that you have the opp when you want it. Everyone needs a compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip! I would have enjoyed that, the photos are amazing and, despite her hunger, Daya seemed to enjoy it.

    Being lost is an opportunity, maybe, you have many options open to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice trip! Daya has gotten so big. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3