topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, April 26, 2015

When I Was Back There in Seminary School....

Haha.  The coolest thing about having gone to seminary is that I can say "When I was back there in seminary school...."

So, when I was back there in seminary school, there was a man, let's call him Alvin- who yelled at me once in front of the whole entire class regarding pagan religions.  Which was odd, it being an interfaith seminary and his wife headed up the pagan portion of the curriculum.  It was during the curriculum section on Judaism. I was all of 22 years old, in my pagan coven years, and I asked a question, I can't recall what it was- I believe it had to do with the clash of Jews and pagans in ancient times- but he responded by snapping at me in front of the whole room.  I was very taken aback, startled.  Actually, the whole room was startled. I didn't know how to respond so I just shut up.

His response had to do with yelling at me about pagan sacrifice of babies.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  All these years I still had no idea what he was talking about, but I recently found out by chance.  It's about Molech, who somehow I never knew about.  Obviously child sacrifice- as well as human and animal sacrifice- is a horrific practice.  We as humanity still need to evolve away from many horrific things, but thankfully child sacrifice isn't mainstream anymore.  Although it is not completely eradicated, believe it or not. Animal sacrifice is still rather prevalent on certain religious holidays in some sects of mainstream traditions- yes Alvin, YOURS- and also Santeria, for example.

For the record, while I am all about tolerance and respect, I'm not on board with any form of inflicting pain, bloodshed and/or death as a form of worship.

Humans do awful things.  We do awful horrible things as a collective under the guise of tradition, religion, out of ignorance, fear, desperation, and the need to control and dominate others.  It is nothing new.  It happens all over the world and has happened throughout all time.

I do not, however- oh please pardon this terrible pun- think it is necessary to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Horrendous human practices are not representative of entire traditions which also have many beautiful aspects.  Humanity corrupts things.  As we create, so we destroy.  We are capable of very high frequency and corresponding very low frequencies. There are nutjobs, and there are the rest of us.

So anyhow, this response is many years too late, 
but "Alvin", 
I did not deserve to be yelled at.

Jim agrees with me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3