topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Mantras and Mudras

                                           ॐ

The things we need find us when we are ready for them, when we need them.  It is never coincidence.  Our job is to stay open, listen, and pay attention.  Accept the gifts that are constantly offered, and keep the flow going and extend to others.

I started working with mantras almost 15 years ago.  They are a lovely way to meditate. Sometimes I use my mala beads and sometimes I do not.  I practice them for a while, then I leave them for a while and come back to them eventually.  The first mantra I worked with...

Om mani padme hum 

...is a compassion mantra.  Some say that all the teachings of the Buddha are contained in this mantra.

When I was pregnant I sang this mantra a lot, which is a Divine Mother mantra:

om ma pahimam
om ma rakshamam

hey ma Durga pahimam

Of course I love the Gayatri Mantra, which is just an amazing, incredible, and awesome mantra. There is a ton of into on it already, which an easy Google search will locate.

ॐ भूर्भुवः॒ स्वः ।
तत्स॑वितुर्वरे॑ण्यं
भ॒र्गो॑ दे॒वस्य॑ धीमहि ।
धियो॒ यो नः॑ प्रचो॒दया॑त् ॥

Aum Bhur Bhuva Svah 
Tat Savitur Varenyam 
Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi 
Dhiyo Yo Naha Prachodayat

I have found a new mantra (or it found me...same thing I guess) which is:

Jaya Jaya Shiva Shambho 
Mahadeva Shambho

This is a happy mantra which opens your heart.

Shiva represents the power of transformation and is pure consciousness. Shiva is that which you are capable of becoming. Shiva is often called Mahadeva, the Great God, and also Shambo, the abode of joy.

*****
So, mudras.  Most people know Anjali Mudra, which is the hands together in front of your heart- the traditional hands together in prayer.

Anjali Mudra

Most people have some familiarity with Dhyana Mudra or Jnani Mudra, which is the tip of the thumb and index finger touching.  This creates a closed energy circuit which is useful in meditation.

Jnana Mudra

These are the two I always worked with.  But I am exploring mudras more.  There are lots and lots of mudras and they all do different things and have different benefits- physical, spiritual, and emotional.

The one I have started working with is the Anahata Chakra Mudra. (Heart Chakra Mudra) This mudra improves health heart and lungs, chest, and breathing. it is also good for compassion, love, and healing abilities.


Anahata Chakra Mudra

                                              ॐ

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the informative blog. It is indeed wonderful to read and useful. Read hanuman chalisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good piece of information.Nice post admin. Read hanuman chalisa Daily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3