topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

A Letter to Myself from 1995

When I was a senior in high school, I wrote myself a letter, which I came across by chance yesterday.

I was supposed to open it on my birthday in 2014 but since I am a superstar I messed up and thought I was supposed to open it on my birthday in 2016.  I am a few months late.

Here is most of the letter, in which I respond to myself.

28 Feb 1995

Jessica,
By plan you're ** years old. It should be Oct 29th, 2014.  Well I am a little late on that, sorry, got the year wrong.... Next century, 19 years later.  Well, right now it's 9:39pm. You (I) got off work at 9:00.  

Gypsy's here while I am writing this.  As of right now, I'm a senior at Milton High School. My plans for the future include going to Pratt Institute in Brooklyn which is definite, and eventually becoming a Walt Disney animator. Yep, I wanted to get into animation.  I used to make flip books on the pages of textbooks.  I still like to make things move.  In TV productions I have been producing newscasts.

Right now I'm wondering where in life I'll be when I read this 19 years from now. I want to know what job I'm having (one that didn't exist in 1995!) and if I'm married. I was....not anymore though.

Do you still talk to Scott?  Yes  How about Janet? Yes we are Facebook friends. I was out of touch with both of them for many years though.  

I'm listening to the soundtrack to Cats.  Gypsy is cleaning herself. 
How much do you think you remember about right now? Well, if you ever get any insane notion that you want to go back to high school, forget it. I hate it.  It's oppressive.  I'm surrounded by immature imbeciles.  Work is a drag.  I still have to ride the bus when I can't bum a ride. It sucks.  Remember you were so depressed.  You hated your home life.  Are your relations with Mom any better?  No, we have had no contact at all for years and I like it that way. How about Christine? She changed her name years ago and we haven't had any contact for years.  

Did you keep your paintings and other artistic work?  I have my AP art slides.  Remember Mrs Jennings and all she did for you?  Yes, of course.  

Well, I'm not sure what else to say to you.  I get the feeling that you'll want to read more than what I've already said to you.  Although I've been thinking of this letter for a while, I'm still not sure what to say. Maybe I'll add to it.  There is so much I want to know.

Do you love yourself yet?  Yes.

Be there for your husband and yourself. And especially God.  

Well, bye for now.

Jessica

PS what about your wonderful GHP friends?
I'm not in touch with anyone from GHP.

****
My cat Gypsy.  I remember bringing her in for show and tell in nursery school.  She died halfway through my Freshman year in college.



Best cat ever

1 comment:

  1. How interesting that you still have this letter. I have nothing from that period of my life except one of my yearbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3