topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, January 30, 2015

Nice Neat Healing Packages

Sonia Choquette wrote another book.

I haven't read it yet but since I'm writing about it, I should.  I got a copy for Kindle because it was only $1.99.  The book has a lot of very positive reviews.

Here's the jist: Sonia Choquette is a well-known New Age-type of author.  She experienced a bunch of Life Crap including some deaths and the end of her marriage.  So, she took a pilgrimage through Camino de Santiago, an 820-kilometer trek over the Pyrenees and across northern Spain.  There, apparently she found healing and renewal.  The book is her story of that.

Camino de Santiago

That's all well and good HOWEVER:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the average person, when faced with Life Crap such as a divorce (yes let's use that as an example)- cannot just leave their life to go on a trip like that to "heal".  It's presented as such a nice neat healing package- life implodes, chaos reigns, long expensive trip is taken, resolution and healing is found at the end of it.  So nice and tidy.

I am not at all knocking Ms. Choquette's book or her experience, what I am saying is that most of us have to go through our healing process while still living everyday life--being functional at work, taking care of kids, hopefully taking care of ourselves, trying to pick up our pieces. Those of us who don't have a lot of money (or any money), or time, or that kind of opportunity to have such a nice neat healing package with results delivered at the end along with a book deal- that anonymous everyday journey, while less dramatic, is no less powerful.  Perhaps it is even more powerful: struggling to heal while at the same time struggling to keep a roof over your head and deal with the pressures of mundane everyday life.

That healing journey isn't so nice and neat and predictable either- it is a process that can be back and forth. Through that process, each person has to decide for themselves that they WANT to heal and move on.  It is that intention which is the ultimate deciding factor.  It is something internal.  A lot of people don't actually want to heal, but it is a choice that is available at all times.  And moving on is so worth it.

Anyhow, I'm happy for Ms Choquette that her pilgrimage worked for her but most of us don't have that luxury.  And truly it is not necessary.  So be nice to all the crazy strangers around you, because they might be one of those anonymous heros struggling to get through.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right!!!! On both counts. My Mom always said "You have 20 mins to cry, then get up and get busy" I haven't always been quite that successful, but I do keep her words with me, and try to honestly give it my all. I'm not as tough as my mom was, but I keep trying. I think it gets easier with age.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3