topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Post-Mortem


he said 'It's all in your head,' 
and I said, 'So's everything'
But he didn't get it 
I thought he was a man 
But he was just a little boy
                                               -Fiona Apple

I was speaking with a friend last night about looking for the positive lessons in life experiences.

And not being able to find them.
Even when searching really hard, meditating, and really wanting to find the positive.

Things to ask:
"Did I learn anything about myself?" (no)
"Did the experience benefit me and/or someone else?" (no)
"Did it make me a better person?" (no)
"Am I a better painter now?"  (no)
 this is a vitally important question applicable to everything 

Sometimes, it's ok to forget all that stuff about experiences being all about the journey, everything happens for a reason, etc etc.  That is all well and good and it is mostly true, but sometimes, over-analyzing gets you nowhere.  If there is nothing to be found there is just nothing.

It's kind of like searching for the positive meaning in an IRS audit letter.


Don't waste your time looking for anything besides  
"It sucks!"

******
There is nothing either good or bad, 
but thinking makes it so.
                              -Shakespeare

Well yes, we can quote the wise Hamlet but didn't he end up really messed up...and dead?  

That also sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3