topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Florida Plein Air

I was in Florida all last week, went with a friend and took the kids to Disney.  We had a great time.  It was very warm, which meant swimming pools......of course I brought my paint box.

I am changing up my plein air colors- cobalts are my new thing.  I have cobalt blue and cobalt turquoise (and cobalt green), but always used French Ultramarine as my main blue.  I think that might be changing to cobalt...kind of a shame, since cobalt is both expensive and toxic.  But it's so pretty!

This first painting is the pool fountain at night.  I like the colors ok but the brushwork is not so great.  I literally could not see what I was doing- my reading lamp was useless. A good light for my paint box is now a necessity. Looking at the painting in the light the next morning was a bit of a surprise, as I really had no idea what it looked like.

6x8 oil on panel


This second painting was also by the pool.  By far, this was the most comfortable and relaxing painting spot I have been in!

6x8 oil on panel


Palettes for both were quinacridone red (PR209!! not PV19) Cadmium yellow light, cobalt blue, cobalt turquoise, cobalt violet, titanium white

3 comments:

  1. Jessica, I am so happy for your trip and that you made the time to immortalize at least part of it with paint.:D I love the palette you used...cobalts are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...right here in my territory! So happy you got to come down! The grandkids and I talk about how we hope to get back to Disney again this fall. We want to visit Animal Kingdom this next time.

    Your paintings are fantastic....and now I am seeing where your little rats name came from!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you got those beautiful paintings right there. Love the strokes of your brush. It's just perfect.
    quality website design

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3