topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

George The Pencil Pirate

This year I participated again in the annual portrait swap over at wetcanvas.

When George sent me his picture, my first thought was "he has stubble!"
My second thought was "He is wearing glasses, too!"

I spent a few minutes feeling sorry for myself. Not because George doesn't have a nice face, he does for sure, but stubble AND glasses...I thought I was in trouble.

Then George did that knockout portrait of me in ONE weekend. I didn't think I was in trouble anymore, I knew I was toast. There was just no possible way I could follow that act.

So I had to come up with something that could have a redeeming quality if it ended up being frisbee status. In one of the reference pictures George sent me (not the one I painted), well, I thought he looked kind of like a pirate. It got me thinking. Also, George likes colored pencils a lot. I thought maybe if I did something clever it would conceal my faulty portrait skillz, and I wouldn't mind so much if everyone laughed at my painting.

Here is George the Pencil Pirate.

11x14 Oil on Panel (click image for a larger view)


Detail

2 comments:

  1. are you kidding me??? this is great!!! the reflections in the glasses are so realistic...the facial hair is fantastic! Good looking subject, Jesica!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one will be laughing at this portrait. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3