topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, February 19, 2011

New Easel and Some Torrit Trees (#41)

I got a new easel!  It's about time too, my largest easel has been a full size Julian, it is extremely rickety and I had to fold in the legs and put it on top of my drawing table.  It was all right for small work but... since I started the Waterhouse painting in January, which is quite large, well let's just say things have been uncomfortable.  It's just not fun to stand on a chair just to reach the top of the painting.

Here is my beautiful new easel!


On Tuesday I went out painting in Central Park again.  It was COLD, even my snow-loving self got chilly after one painting.  I'm going to be doing tonal studies for plein air for a while- no color. I need the practice with values, and they are fun to do.  It's actually nice to not have to worry about color.

Torrit Trees (because I used  Gamblin's Torrit Grey)
6x8 oil on panel


For some reason I can't paint skinny trees no matter how hard I try....

3 comments:

  1. Your new easel is wonderful. I giggled at the thought of you standing on a chair to reach the top of a painting. Now you won't have that trouble. I am sure the trees you paint don't mind the image of being more robust. As long as you don't do this to the people you paint. People aren't so forgiving. ;) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay New easel , now how did it feel to paint that teapot on it , grand I bet ... you rock as ever :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of dong the tonal work! It appeals to me! I love your "fat" trees here, and your teapot above! Congrats on your new easel!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3