topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, November 19, 2010

Plein Air 37 & 38 & Retirement Day

Today I took a vacation day and went on a painting workshop with Danielle Hatherley again.  One of her students got permission for us to paint in the health club of her building, 36 stories up.  It was an awesome building with an incredible 360 degree view right on the East River.

I finished 2 paintings, both are 9x12 oil on panel:


The second is a Leftover Paint Painting... just a quick something to use up the extra paint from the first painting.




The view was wonderful!





************************

Today also marks Retirement Day of my Painting BFF- so I am glad it got to go on such a nice outing.

My fabulous palette knife, an old Lowell-Cornell, model number long obscured by layers of paint. I have been painting with this knife for the last 14 years. In fact, I can't paint without it. It's comfortable and has character, and it is well-made.

Knives like this are hard to find these days- the reason it is so good is because the blade and handle are all one piece of metal.  They just don't make them like they used to.



Because there are cracks in the paint which covers the blade, and because my friend on Wet Canvas recently had her much-beloved palette knife break, I'm a little nervous.  So I used some birthday money to finally invest in a Holbein Knife. 

There are no better knives than Holbein knives.  With the exception of something tragic and unforeseen, I will never have to replace this new knife for as long as I live.  It is tempered Japanese steel, all one piece.  It is beautiful. lightweight, and wonderfully flexible.  I will miss my old knife, but I know I'll love the new one just as much!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new knife!!! The new one sounds and looks like a wonderful investment!!! Will you save your old one just to have around and look at???

    I love your paintings! You were really up there!

    I remember going to the 24th story of a condo over on the beach for my work and I was so afraid in case of fire...I am a worrier...LOL.

    Glad you had an enjoyable class!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend, you and Daya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you were high. I don't think I have ever been that high except when in the mountains and then you have a much different view. Nice new knife. Have fun. ARe you retiring your old knife or are you just keeping the new one for the time when your old one breaks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that view! It couldnt be more different than mine. What an inspiration for such wonderful paintings. I love your rat for halloween too...very cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, wonderful work on these paintings, both of them! It sounds like the day was a wonderful experience, I am so happy for you for this class! The view is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3