topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Plein Air 33 and 34

Since I had to go to Daya's school this morning, I just took the whole day off to make the already-long weekend extra long.

Of course I went out painting.  I have been having trouble getting into the painting zone lately, and I had trouble today even though I was excited to be out.  These two are not really great paintings... but I read the other day on Wet Canvas that even some professional plein air painters admit a good percentage of the work they do in the field isn't great.  Plein air painting sure is hard.

I used the palette I'll be using for my upcoming plein air workshop on the 21st:  Alizarin crimson, Cadmium red light, Indian yellow, Cadmium yellow light, French Ultramarine, and Maganese Blue.  Oh, and white.  I am having trouble mixing my darkest values with this palette- they all come out looking like really dark purple or some sort of indefinable brown.

My setup for the first painting:


#33, 8x10 oil on panel  ( I really have trouble with pine trees) one hour




For the second painting, I found a tree that was literally growing out of a huge rock.  I thought I had a good start with this one but am not quite sure what happened.

6x8 oil on panel one hour, maybe I spent too long on it.  Oh well, next time.

3 comments:

  1. You're really good. This isn't just now occurring to me, I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #3. The red color in it really makes the whole thing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are quiet good, ... I love the second one it really glows!

    To mix a good dark you could put a little drop of burnt umber on your palette as well, not to use it only to mix the color before mixing it with ultr.blue this way you get use to mix the right brown in the first step. (makes this any sense?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3