topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

More Alla Prima Trees (PRT)

I'm still practicing alla prima landscapes. Here is a little painting that took one hour and 20 minutes, from one of my Central Park photos.

It was supposed to be a split complementary palette of violet, yellow orange and yellow green, but I chose incorrect pigments for both yellow orange and yellow green. As a result my color mixing was completely thrown off and I had to add a blue pigment in... my new Vasari Video Blue.

Lesson learned: inaccurate color selection for split complementary palettes makes a HUGE difference.

I like last night's painting better than this one.

6x8 oil on panel

1 comment:

  1. You know, when you re-look at this painting I think you will really love it! It is bright and fresh, and very spring-like to me. I really love it's qualities!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3