topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Brooklyn Plein Air

I learned today that people are not allowed to sit on the grass in the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens... unless you are painting!! Isn't that awesome?

I am now 18 PA paintings in, learning as I go. My copy of Edgar Payne's Composition of Outdoor Painting just arrived and i can't wait to read it.

I did 3 things differently today:
*left black off my palette
*did a quick charcoal sketch before painting
*attempted the pigment soup approach

This is a split complementary palette, Alizarin crimson, cadmium green, maganese violet plus white and Torrit Grey (as the mother color)

So much to learn!

6x8 Oil on Panel

3 comments:

  1. How great that you are trying new things with your painting, and that you are really loving the plein air. Good luck with your record keeping... :)
    xoxo- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me want to get out there and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great plein-air setup you have there! It's also awesome that you are free to sit on the grass that the Botanic Gardens and paint to your heart's content! Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3