topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Friday Night at the Met

Last night I had a child-free evening, so I went up to the Met after work. I am always a little incredulous of the changes that have happened there. Sign of the times I guess. The crazy bag check is one of them. Last night I needed a special pass and security check to bring in my laptop: a far cry from the days when I brought my pet rat Sylvia and left her in coat check.

I started in Greece. The museum is so pretty at night with the lights.



Here is Aphrodite.




Here are some paintings I LOVE and like to visit:
Georges de la Tour: The Penitant Magdalene



Emmanuel de Witte: Interior of the Old Church in Delft



There is a special exhibit in the medieval sculpture hall called something like Choirs of Angels. The room is full of illuminated songbook sheets. They are lovely.





Check out this detail!



I want this book!



I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but I deeply love medieval illuminated manuscripts. Which brings me to....

With my generous (it is for me!) 45 cent admission, I got a coupon for $10 off any $25 purchase. Uh-oh. If it was $5 off I might have been able to resist spending money I should not. But...$10 off!

I got a book. Like I really need another book. Like I really need another book with illuminated manuscript plates. Like I really need another medieval herbal. But...IT's SO PRETTY!!! Someone please tell me you would have done the same thing.








For Teri C:

9 comments:

  1. what a wonderful day out. we aren't allowed to take photos here in our galleries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would I do the same thing??? OMG...in a heartbeat...in a heartbeat!!! I'm right there with you...that book rocks!!! Medieval illuminations are a passion of mine also...It's a good thing we don't live close to each other...We could do a lot of financial damage! :) Glorious shots...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, what a gorgeous place!!!!!! So much beauty. And DAISIES!! 'Eye of the day', how interesting and I see I am in good company with Chaucer.
    "Emblem of pwerful women'. gosh I didn't know I was in such good company!

    Thanks for all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That place looks unreal! I love the gold on those pictures from medieval times. and the book! I wonder if it can be bought online? I hope not for my bank accounts sake....

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh la la! I just placed an amazon order last night...so I have put it on my wish list for next time! thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. Yup--I can see why you bought the book. I sure would have. I have a repro of The Book of Hours of Mary of Burgundy. Maybe you can find images from it or I'll bring it to show you next time I see you. You would love it. Same kind of detailed naturalistic borders but also with insects, jewels etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a beautiful place!
    Lovely pictures
    Love the songbook sheets!
    And the daisies for Teri!
    Did you see the paintingof the church in Delft? The dog lifts his leg against a pilar.....fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! We're both very lucky to live close to so many great museums.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live so far from anything like this. I love the glimpse you have given us.

    As to the book. You needed that book girl. Don't you feel bad about purchasing it. You deserve a treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3