topiary cats

topiary cats

Monday, February 02, 2009

Cactus Monday: Retro Edition

As part os the Soul Coaching program, I have been doing quite a lot of clutter clearing. The night before last I found a box with a bunch of stuff from college. Including my very first-ever college drawing and my Cactus Connexion catalog from Graphic Design (bound in sandpaper!)

I'll have to show you the catalog another day because I haven't properly photographed it.

But here is the very first ever drawing from my Freshman Light, Color, and Design class. I remember this very well. Our teacher (Dwight Johnson) talked all morning, then told us to bring something back after lunch for critique. I went back to my dorm room and sat on the bed by the window just being scared. But, I had to show something so I took out my colored pencils (I think the piece had to be in colored pencil) and drew one of my little cacti on the window. (I did bring my plants to college. I had a few, because the previous year I had done a high school portfolio concentration on...you guessed it, CACTI!)

Here is what I drew: (14 years ago eek!)


And you know what? Everyone loved it including the teacher. I felt a lot better after that.

Happy Cactus Monday!!

PS I just remembered I never posted last Friday's 12 Secrets to Highly Creative Women. I'll do that very soon.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I can see that you have always been a good artist. Well done. Happy Cactus Monday Cacuteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    It's like a beautiful palm!!!!
    Also quite abstract yeah....you are so artistic ^^
    Happy cactus Monday!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what, 14 years ago...wow i am impressed. hcm cactuteer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure form the past! Happy Cactus Monday fellow Cacuteer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is great, Jessica...I'm not surprised that they all loved it.

    I can see faces in this drawing ~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you find a gem in old work. The talent was already there!

    HCM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story!! And your cactus saved the day 14 years ago and here it is saving your MOnday and giving us all the pleasure of enjoying it again.

    HCM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great drawing for starters and then the story to go with.
    You have had this thing with cacti from what I can see and hear. Your drawing looks like a 4 fingered hand in some way and also a group of people. I really like it!
    And HCM have a great week!

    And there's a Cactus give-a-way today at Flying Colors, to celebrate a Blogsversary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is actually very detailed...I am glad you came up with the idea for your class...it is extra special to us cactus lovers!!! Thanks for showing it to us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely! HCM (eventhough I am a little late...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3