topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Preschool

It's time for Daya to start preschool. Which for me means more monthly expense and less convenience.

I have been putting it off but finally came to the decision last night/this morning. While her current daycare situation has been very good, very convenient, and inexpensive, there is one issue which I am done trying to resolve over there. Perhaps it's for the best that I reached my breaking point and the Universe is telling me something- that it is time for a change.

My issue is this: Daya's diet. The sitter feeds her, which is a blessing. However, she eats so much white starchy stuff over there it totally negates all my efforts to have her on a whole grain healthy diet. She eats so much at the sitter's that she doesn't want to eat when she gets home. Problem: chronic constipation. Long-term ongoing. The solution is not medicine- it is a dietary change.

I don't even know how many times I have asked the sitter to limit to one starch a day. And feed her less so I can feed her at home. And stop giving her bread. (that's white bread in addition to white pasta and white rice all in one day) Just last Friday I asked her AGAIN to completely stop giving Daya any bread. Yesterday I asked what Daya ate- and bread was on the top of the list. I even brought a loaf of whole wheat bread (which Daya eats at home) and the sitter gave it back to me saying "She doesn't want it.".

It is NOT healthy for my child to have one traumatic poop once a week. (On weekends, when I am giving her extra fiber go figure) It is NOT good that the sitter completely ignores my requests repeatedly. I've had the conversation too many times. I am not going to have it again. I am done.

At home I do add extra fiber to her food, but the problem is that 90% of what she eats is not provided by me. I am angry, I am frustrated, I am done with it. I have to rule out diet to see if there is another underlying medical issue, which is proving impossible in the current circumstance.

OK I am done ranting. Am visitng a school tomorrow. Will resolve issue. Thank you for reading my vent.

And BTW did you know that NYC is INSANE when it comes to preschool? Did you know that it is very common for people to pay upwards of $30,000 a year to send their kid to preschool to pee on the floor and take a nap? I cannot fathom it. I think it is a NYC thing. Even if I had that kind of money I wouldn't do it.

PS Dear checking account, pls magically create extra funds. Love and kisses, J

6 comments:

  1. You poor baby. You needed a good rant. I remember the days of battling the babysitter over certain issues.

    Hang in there. You will get it straightened out and then Daya will be ok.

    It is amazing how they do grow up and become healthy good citizens despite all they endure growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so doing the right thing! Now that you have made the decision, I hope the plan falls in place without much stress.

    A child's nutrition is so important and even feeding her fiber and lots of water in the evening is not going to negate the starch from the day. Too bad you can't get through to the sitter.

    Best of luck in your hunt and let us know how it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck & keep me posted. I do think you are doing the right thing. I hope it will neither be too expensive nor too inconvenient. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Jessica! I will be hoping for the magical funds to appear straight away!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made the decision and I'm sure it will fall into place now. WOWZA, that's A LOT of dosh to pay out a year for Preschool!

    Good luck and hoping that you will find a great preschool at affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg what a shock. here we have 'nursery' (preschools) attached to primary schools, which means they are free. what a cheek, charging that amount!!! also, remember YOU are the customer and if you say no wheat/or no white products, they should adhere to this as YOU are the mother and it is for your child. so that shocks me even more!!! rant away, i am with you on these issues 100%. what a pity we didn't live nearby I would look after her and educate her (for free)!!!!keep us posted on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3