topiary cats

topiary cats

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Ode to My Pencil Box

Not being the most organized person in the world, I pick and choose what I'm obsessive about when it comes to keeping order. For instance, I require a clean desk at work with everything in its place. I do prefer order to chaos but it's always been a challenge at home.

Another thing that falls under "must be perfectly organized at all times" is my pencil box. I am rather fond of my pencil box. You see, I've had it for over 13 years- since my first year in college. I was so excited to get it, and I remember having to wait a few weeks to make the purchse (something about being broke...).

Through the years it hasn't changed much. (Although I used to keep a little vial of Walnut ink in there and I can't find it! I wish I could!) The google eyes that used to be on the front came off years ago and it's collected a lot of art-grime that I have never been able to clean off (though not for lack of trying).

Here is the grand tour of my pencil box:



I keep lots of stuff in there, all perfectly arranged so it will still close.

Most notable things are:
*The usual assortment of graphite pencils, both regular and water-soluable
*A pastel pencil I have had since I was 9 years old. (From a General's Drawing Set)
*Ink pens and a brush or two
*An Altoids box for pencil shavings. (Got the idea from my high school art teacher. And it fits perfectly!!)
*A pretty Black Goldstone rock (because I like it- pictured in close-up above)
*Xacto knife and blades
*A dry point needle
*Bamboo pens, more assorted loose charcoal and graphite
*A few different kinds of erasers
*A white moonstone, a blending cloth I've had in there since college, a purple die, and a cross stone.

What's in your pencil box?

3 comments:

  1. That is a neatly organised pencil box! I have my drawing tools assorted over four different containers.....haven't been fortunate enough to find a big pencil box like your one. I'll see if I can get a decent pic later though it's a rainy day, which means dark and gloomy indoors, not the best setting for clear pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I will go take pics of my one box (an old cigar box, I think)...and pass it along in a post on my blog! Your box is really cool looking and has such a great history! Definately never to be parted with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been delighted by looking through your blog posts on this first page. Thank you Julie for bringing Stapelaid blog to our attention.

    Now, as to a pencil box. I have more than one. I am not so "organized". However I do have a point that I cannot cross to be effective. I really like the idea of a sharpener in the altoid box. I always have issues with pencil shavings.

    Your zentangles are marvelous as are your fairies.

    Your best work of art is that beautiful daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3