topiary cats

topiary cats

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween/Samhain!

Yesterday, Chris posted a ficticious scary story and invited readers to post their scary stories in the comments section. I was going to write my scary story there but felt it might be better placed here.

This is a true story, from my deep dark past. After you read it I think you'll understand why I never tell it.

Some years ago I was involved with the Pagan scene here in NYC. I was in what I guess you'd call a coven. That in itself was not scary- liken it to very small religious services. A lot of it was a good experience and I learned a lot. But I digress.

During that period I was also on a couple Pagan-oriented email lists. I think it was still eGroups at the time. (Remember eGroups?) Well, on one of the lists I got into a small tiff with a girl who was into some questionable stuff. (demons I think?) She got mad at me (why I can't recall) and threatened to "show me" (paraphrased). I didn't think too much about it- perhaps at most I thoguht I'd have a strange dream. But I didn't.

***pause for some background details***

At the time I lived in a basement apartment in a private house. The windows were small and high up near my ceiling. My bed was positioned in a corner so that my head was near one of the windows.

The girl I got into the tiff with lived across the country somewhere. She was not on the east coast.

***resume story****
This happened over a weekend because I was sleeping in. The next morning I was fast asleep and i heard a voice outside my window. It was a male voice, very deep and oddly, very beautiful. Something about it, though, "carried through the air" wrong. (I don't know how else to describe it.)

My blinds were down but I could tell that it was bright and sunny outside. Anyhow I couldn't really make out what the voice was saying, being half asleep and all, but as I came to full awaremess it was saying things like "You don't believe in me I'll show you." I don't recall anything else it said except for it's threat to "piss on my head". Which meant it knew where I was in the apartment without ever having been inside or seeing through a window. I was really freaked out and so did the only thing one can do in that kind of circumstance- I prayed.

And it worked. Immediately. The person/thing went away.

I tried calling the police but my phone was dead. I quickly got dressed and my very freaked out landlady was at the front door of the house. She said she had called me twice and left 2 messages on my machine. I never did get them. The incident also blew out the power supply on my computer. (That really pissed me off.) I asked what the man looked like- she said he had longish blonde hair, was walking funny and had a bottle in his hand. They had never seen him before. I told them I had no idea who it was and it wasn't a friend of mine. I don't think they believed me but nothing more ever happened.

My phone started working again and I bought a new power supply for the computer. I also slept at my friends' place the following night. For over a month I slept with the lights on.

Remind me sometime to tell you about the stuff that was happening in my apartment right before Daya was born when my ex was completely loco.

I'm off to Target now! Happy Halloween, love and kisses!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That was a good one. Tres creepy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that is scary! I've had lots of 'strange' happenings too over the years. We had some very strange occurrences recently when my ex-husband passed away. Your story reminds me of an experience my daughter had in high school. I might email it to you as it's a bit long to write in a comment.

    Happy Halloween to you and Daya!!

    Btw, it's already November 1st here and I'll be posting on my blog later today re. the challenge and book club. I hope the art/creativity challenge gives you the kick start you've been waiting for. I'm already eager to see your creative adventures and I'm stoked to be sharing the experience with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have CHILLS all over right now!

    Never underestimate, I guess...

    Can't wait to hear the other stories!

    Happy Samhain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of that would have freaked me out!!! That was a great story for tonight! It is very windy and spooky here, so it fit the mood here perfectly! Happy Halloween. Did Daya dress up???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3