topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

PRT Buffer #1 Update: The Zombie Hard Drive

A while back I put a new 400 gig hard drive in my puter. I used the existing 80 gb one as a backup. The 80 gig died though, and has remained inside my computer because I was too nervous to take it out. Because I think I did something that killed it when I switched things out. Not really a big deal, I didn't lose any data, it has been sitting there dead and unused for a long time, except when I boot up I get a message that the drive has errors.

Except last night the clicking started. All googled results said impending death, badness, destruction, back-up-NOW kind of thing.

Then the constant clicking stopped but every few minutes it started clicking AND beeping!

Restarting the computer three times gave me three different experiences, until finally it refused to boot altogether. I could not pass the message about the slave hard drive having errors. So, I shut everything down and took the damn thing out. Ran CHKDSK which reported no errors.

So, can anyone explain why my dead hard drive came back to life just to say "I'm DEAD please remove me!"

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had some kind of suggestion, but I do wish you and the 'puter lots of good luck. It's really crappy when it dies on you! I know! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, all I can say is THANK GOODNESS all the clicking and beeping was from the 80 Gb drive and not your 400 Gb drive. I remember a computer tech once telling me that beeps are a definite sign of harddrive death. Maybe it got tired of waiting for a proper burial? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since I've been to your blog! I give you a thumbs up for moving to Minnesota. I'm from there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3