topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mikayla

My co-worker's daughter Mikayla turned one and today we went to her birthday party in Brooklyn. It was a ton of fun. She has a pool in her back yard and Daya had a blast.

As a gift, I did a portrait of Mikayla as a faerie. In watercolor, 11x14. I haven't used watercolor for about 15 years. I'm not sure if I should stick to oils and leave the watercolor alone yet...but w/c really is perfect for these types of pictures. Still not sure how I feel about the painting- I would have liked a few more days with it. It has some issues but I hope it's ok anyhow.

Here is the drawing (9x12):



I transferred it to 11x14 via the light box, painted it, then framed it.



I hope my friend likes it. (We didn't open the presents during the party.)

7 comments:

  1. She will LOVE it! I think you have done a superb job. Mikayla is an adorable, little faerie.

    You are very talented to have mastered oils AND watercolours. I would love to try watercolours one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is seriously one of the cutest things I have ever seen, ever. It kinda makes me want to have a kid so I can commission you to do one of those for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jessica ...how beautiful is this? How could any mother not adore this painting??? She will LOVE it so much! I love it! You have such talent...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic. You're good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! So very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drusilla never mentioned that you had posted a watercolor. I've never had the courage to post the pencils I do for my holiday art alongside the finished, inked versions, for fear of revealing an initial inspiration that sags. But yours came out very nicely. I've always intended to title my own efforts along such lines as FAIRY art, for the sake of the double entendre.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3