topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Little Blue Spark

My 30s are off to a *swimmingly* good start!

This morning I didn't wake up in time to go to work...oops. Apparently I turned my alarm off in my sleep, the cat didn't wake me, and the child slept in from being up late last night. So I woke up three minutes before I absolutely had to leave. But, thankfully I had my computer at home so was able to just work from home today.

I was very counter-productive.

Because I really do have quite a bit of actual work to do, I wanted to, well, do it. When I work from home sometimes I put a dvd on to listen to. My drive isn't working. And it's less than a year old. And it was a little bit expensive. Bummer. So making a long story short I opened my computer to make sure the drive really was the problem, which it is. And when I was testing it, I plugged in the power supply to the dvd drive while the computer was turned on, thereby earning my rightful title as Queen of Deliberate Stupidity.

There was a little blue spark. Only a little one, but it blew out the whole power supply.

The helpful person at Best Buy scared me very much by telling me that I may have also blown the motherboard. So I started praying earnestly and sincerely. And I gave Best Buy $80.

When I got home, I installed the new power supply. Turned the computer on- nothing.
Then I remembered the little switch at the back of the new power supply, and flipped it. Everything is happy again.

************
I've had this hope, this wish, that as I grow in life experience I would somehow cease to be prone to doing stupid things. This seems not to be the case. I can understand doing new stupid things; situations I have never before encountered. That's ok. But obvious stupid things? I don't even know what to say, except thanks that it wasn't a whole lot worse.

************
Below is a picture of my computer's guts, pre-Deliberate Stupidity.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! That was a great post...makes me realize I am not the only stupid person in the world (at times)....normally we are very bright people....but every now and again............LOL
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you're very clever to even open your computer up to check things. I would be lost!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3