topiary cats

topiary cats

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Eulogy

"The good, the bad, the sane and the mad- 
all things must surely pass."
Today an old and very dear friend of mine met an untimely passing. The image of her newly-deceased corpse will forever remain in my mind.
To my Canon Powershot A40, I say thanks for all the memories.
In a surreal freak accident, which I had two pre-cognitive warnings about 10 minutes before it happened, my dinosaur digital camera jumped out of my hands, bounced three times, and landed in the duck pond at the Flushing Meadows Zoo.
The last picture she ever captured was of the water that took her life.
Thanks to Tom the Zookeepper, I recovered her. Got the batteries and the memory card out and THANK GODDESS they still work. So I will get a cd made of the images on the memory card, which amazingly enough is in perfect condition. I tested it to make sure...and what a relief!
Because I am completely neurotic about replacing things immediately, I bought a new camera. I'm a Canon girl, so I got the Canon Powershot A570 1S. 7.1 megapixels, versus 2.0 megapixels in my old model.
But the Powershot A40 was a fabulous camera. She took a good picture. I bought her in 2001, for more than I paid for my new camera today. She never had a case and suffered much abuse. She went a lot of places, met a lot of people, was dropped a few times, and took thousands of pictures. And except for a slight occasional difficulty with the flash, she worked perfectly. My new camera has a legacy to live up to.
What memories will my new camera capture, I wonder? I am looking forward to finding out.
May 2001 to April 2007

And here is the Last Picture:


1 comment:

  1. My heart goes out to you on the loss of your close companion. How lucky you were that the memory card was still useable. A similar thing happened to me and my new-ish cellphone....not a cheap one either. My #3 son, aged 17, accidentally dropped it into my cup of green tea and I can tell you I'm sure I turned a pale shade of green too after realising my cellphone was forever dead. That said, I adore my new Nokia cellphone that cost me even more than the last. Likewise, I'm sure you will LOVE your new Canon!!! I'm a bit of a Canon girl myself though, last year, I was given a Fugi digital camera from #2 son when he upgraded to an SLR/digital camera. I'm really liking it so far. Cheers, Serena

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3