topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Freedom

I had a nice chat with my single mom friend last night. We spoke about a lot of things; our lives, our histories, our kids, finances, and our families.

Some of the things we spoke about just drove home the point even more strongly that I am one of the fortunate ones. My friend spoke of extremely wealthy women she knows who are miserable in their mansions, in ther marriages. Silk-lined prisons. Lost identities. I spoke to her of the fortune we have to live in this time and place. Despite the system here being pretty awful in many respects, the fact remains that we are able to have the lives that we do. We are able to work and raise our children on our own. In many cultures and places, and in the not-so-distant past, what we have chosen would be impossible.

Janeen has been mentioning living as a single mom in a world of couples lately. I have found, especially in literature geared towards babies, there is a widespread assumption that a woman has a partner. Beth's post from Friday made me a little sad, because sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on irreplacable time with my daughter.

But, especially lately, I'm in a place of acceptance and contentment because I have a peaceful home and a sense of relative freedom. I am comfortable in my own skin. And, oddly enough, I feel very distant from even wanting a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3