topiary cats

topiary cats

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fragments

Sometimes little fragments of a long-past conversation resurface periodically. I have a recurring one, here at work.

There's a girl who works here. She's young, pretty, smart, athletic, and very good at what she does. She's basically a nice person. She grew up with money and has money, a nice home, nice boyfriend, etc. And she said something in a conversation, last year, that I still think about. A small, almost hidden comment. I forget the actual context...but it may have had to do with shopping, athletics, something along those lines. She said, perhaps not verbatim but close enough, "You do these things, to try and fill the emptiness inside."

Something about the way she said it, the tone, the air about it, implied and took for granted that the others in the conversaton knew and understood exactly what she was talking about and experienced the same thing. And I could only think to myself, how very, very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! It's so nice to be here blogging!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3