topiary cats

topiary cats

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Read Me

I'm something of a book fiend.

As a child and into my adult years I was a compulsive reader. A fiction junkie. I read during class, after school, after bedtime, you get the idea. My mother used to punish me by taking away the book I was currently reading. I would always find where she hid it, and finish reading it before she eventually returned it to me.

The past few years I have been reading less. I didn't read much at all when I was married. Now, other than a few books here and there, I read more blogs than anything else, and I miss reading. Miss that addictive compulsion of having to read the damn book until the end, even if it means staying up until 3am. My mind doesn't seem to want to focus as much, or, perhaps I just need a decent novel. The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers, while interesting, doesn't hold the same allure. Maybe that's because it's too much like real life.

Good fiction has always been a staple of my mental diet. Which isn't suprising, because I'm a dreamer by nature. I love love love a good story with well-developed characters, interesting personalities and conflicts. Intelligent writing. I've just found reading a little harder to get into lately. Also problematic is that I somehow insist on owning books that I like, and I have way too many as it is. The solution to the book over-population may not be to stop reading though.

My friend gave me a War of the Roses romance novel she loved. I started reading it last night. I do not think I've read a romance novel since those Harlequin novels my friend Marcie and I read in 8th grade. It's ok, I like the historical setting. But the beginning annoyed me and I wanted to yell at a few people for being so ridiculously stupid. Romance novels are too fluffy-dramatic for my taste, but I'll probably finish it because the historical detail is interesting. At the very least I know that I still find romances a bit drippy and shallow.

I want my compulsive reading bug back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3