topiary cats

topiary cats

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Alkaline Living

I was talking to my sister the other day about TV. She's getting to the place where she can't really watch it anymore. Which I completely understand, having been without a television myself for the past 10 years. Ditching the tv was one of the most liberating and healthy things I have ever done.

Often I feel like a complete oddball in mainstream social situations, like with co-workers. To maintain and preserve my spiritual connection and focus over the years, I have felt the need to distance from popular culture. So I just keep my mouth shut, because my framework is so different. I woudn't be able to explain my perspective even if I wanted to. Someone recently told me that finding a similar person in this city is like finding life on another planet. It's so true.

Lately I'm trying to be conscious of the thoughts I project towards others. I'm not silently nice when I'm annoyed, like on the crowded subway and that woman just cannot move her sharp cornered bag in front of her so it doesnt impale the poor soul next to her.

But I'm working on just loving people actively and silently. There is so much nastiness going around and it makes me sad. I really don't want to be a part of it.

I grew up on a steady diet of nasty sarcasm. Both my sister and my mother have very mean, nasty sarcastic streaks. Nasty sarcasm is on my hate list, actually. Yesterday my sister threw some of that nastiness my way in an email, so I just stopped emailing back. I'll get over it and I didn't speak to her about it because I just don't see the point. It's just her own shit she's throwing at me, and I don't want it. But even after all these years, it still stings.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:44 AM

    I know that same sisterly feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love your comments! :) <3